Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gas Mains and Matches

The automatic “lighter” on our stove has not been working for the biggest flame lately, creating a rather hazardous situation. Ricki, seeing that the stove was not lighting, on occasion left the gas on by mistake. As a result, I have had to be extra vigilant about being “on hand” when Ricki lights the stove. So it comes as no surprise that the other day I caught Ricki trying to light the stove with matches. I warned her that this is a new skill, and a potentially hazardous one, so she must call me when she uses the stove.
The next day I found her practicing the igniting of matches in the living room. She actually did a good job lighting them. I guess she must have some Yankee genes there (“Independence or Death!”)! I reviewed with her the dangers, and what to do if her clothing would catch fire. And I am keeping an eye on her, meanwhile.
AND I have called the repairman to hopefully fix the automatic lighter, QUICK!

2 comments:

A Living Nadneyda said...

I think there is a product sold in Israel that shuts the gas off automatically if there's no source of ignition. (The more modern stoves come with that function built in). The product had something to do with using the fire on Yom Tov... I saw signs up in J-m last year (sorry I can't be more specific).

I must admit, there is something fun about lighting matches. But please let Ricki know that we'd all like for her to take good care of herself and stay safe!

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

the oven at my house has the same problem, it needs matches to light it. I'm always to chicken to light a match, so I call someone else to turn on the fire for me. So it makes it hard to cook anything.

She is really brave. That's great you were able to go over those safety precautions with her. That's brave of you too!