Thursday, August 13, 2009

Accepting Help

Yesterday Ricki and I did an easy climb to Alberta Falls (only about 200 feet increase in elevation). On the return path, we decided to tackle a downhill trail leading from the Alberta Falls trail down 2.8 miles to Sprague Lake. I figured that this way I could get in my 10,000 steps without trekking uphill any more than I had done already.
We quickly discovered that the trail was not a well-kept one, and was full of stones. This made the going hard for Ricki, but all in all she handled it like a trooper. However, after a while came her complaints of being thirsty. My mom had a pack with a bottle of water, but my pack had been loaned to my visiting son. Instead I had prepared 2 bags of drink, and a snack for Ricki, in her bag. Suddenly we realized that somehow she had left her bag and drink at home.
To make a long story short, by the time we reached Sprague Lake, we were thirsty, hungry (breakfast had been very small, and many hours before), and tired. THEN we discovered that the shuttle bus to the parking lot does not stop at sprague lake (nor where its access road meets the main road), and we were faced with about another mile hike to the car.
At that point my mom flagged down a car with a couple, and they were quite willing to give us a lift to the parking lot. We thanked them, and they said "pass it on".
I don't know about you, but I prefer to give than to take (in general). But sometimes wisdom is knowing when you DO need help, and to accept it gracefully. Whether you are carrying several packages, a new mom with a tiny baby, a stranger in a new place.... sometimes you need help, and the smart thing is to accept it. That way, you can return to being a "giver" sooner.

3 comments:

Staying Afloat said...

Yes yes yes. I struggled for months with my newly diagnosed autistic son before being willing to accept the help of high school girls being thrust upon me. Their help lets me be a good mother to my family. And I remember trying to shlep 10 grocery bags two blocks to my apartment when I was newly married when I was offered help I didn't want- she invited us for Shabbos and we had new friends.

So much hiking! I'm tired just reading your blog.

Trish @ Another Piece of the Puzzle said...

Thanks for your supportive comment at 5MFSN. I think it also takes courage to accept help when we are not used to doing so.

Sounds like a wonderful trip despite the difficulties.

Anonymous said...

"Pass it on" is a concept in making the world a better place, what we would call Tikun Olam. The idea is that you help people selflessly and ask them to pass it on. If everyone passes it on to three more people, eventually everyone in the world will be reached. It's based on an American book and movie and there's also a Jewish film version called "Gal Nimshach."