Tuesday, September 8, 2009

WHAT Are You Studying?

Until this year, Ricki was in an inclusion setting. She also had a one-on-one aide, who consistently wrote me what was studied that day. And I had the textbooks. This was very informative for me, as Ricki’s answer to “What did you study today?” was invariably answered with a shrug of the shoulder and a mumbled “I donno....”.
Unfortunately, this is STILL her answer, but now that Ricki is in “special education” I don’t have the aide’s detailed description of class content. Nor any textbooks. Occasionally there is homework (from which I can infer studied material), but little more than that.
Yesterday I received in Ricki’s school diary a copy of the class schedule. It listed, among other things “first aid”, “business skills”, “science”, and “computers”. “Life skills” was notably absent from the list. I assume that “first aid” is about taking temperatures and treating everyday illnesses. I suspect “business skills” will be a work-shop type of activity (at age 14?!?). I wish I knew more. I will need to ask, but am waiting a bit, trying to be as diplomatic as possible. The math homework was WAY below her level, so in the homework area I wrote in a few examples closer to her level. (Hope the teacher NOTICES it!)
Patience is a virtue.
Patience is a virtue.
Patience is a virtue.

2 comments:

RivkA with a capital A said...

As a teacher (albeit of swimming)- I always work my way up. In other words, I test that kids can do the basics before I test on a higher level.

I find that a kid is always happy to show what they know and if I start with what they do not know, they sometimes feel bad that they are not able to do something.

I learned that a well meaning parents are not always able to accurately assess their children's abilities and I need to see for myself what the kids can do, and do it in a way that makes the kids feel good about what they *can* do.

I do not know if this is what is going on in your child's math class, but it might be.

I know my son, who is a math wiz, is also being led step by step through material that he can do in his sleep, because the school is thorough and wants to assess the kids on their own before they test the kids and break them up into levels.

rickismom said...

Rivka, I am sure that you are right about this point, and actually I had thought about this point as a possibility.