Thursday, November 24, 2011

Who Would Have Thought?

I addition to trying to walk at least 10,000 steps daily, I have often had the goal to do some resistance band and “weights” exercises every week. But usually I don’t keep it up.
For a while my only non-walking exercise has been my weekly hour swim. But the pool is closed for the month for renovations, so I decided that I must REALLY get some regular exercising in.
So yesterday I was exercising, and the last item on my to-do list of exercises was sit- ups.
No I have not been able to do sit-ups since I was in grade school. The most I could do was to slightly lift my shoulders off the bed.
But yesterday I got up to about a 45 degree angle, and boy did THAT feel GREAT!
Who would have ever guessed?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kol Hakavod on the exercising! You are an inspiration!! Since you are in my age range, and it has been a while since school gym classes, a reminder that what was once considered "proper exercise procedure" (full sit-ups, for example), may now be thought not the best way to do things, too strenuous, too rough on the spine, etc. (same example, now partial sit-ups may be encouraged over full). Might be worth consulting an expert, to avoid harm.

belehcar said...

Congratulations!!! That's awesome! :)

Batya said...

Did I understand that you've been doing sit-ups in bed? You need a harder surface under you.
But your improvement is inspiring for sure.

Cindy said...

Congratulations! I've never been able to do a sit up. I like what you wrote in your bio, that you're on a weight loss journey. It's not a fad, or something new you're going to try for a few weeks. You're in this for the long haul. Good for you!

rickismom said...

Not to worry- when I say "sit up", I mean the partial ones. Batya, you are right; recently I have changed my surface....
Cindy, yes, weight loss can only be accomplished if one makes it a new way of living. A temporary diet won't do it. But that new way of living has to be done in a livable way, not in a draconian style....