Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Monopoly


Monopoly
   [an aside: I tried writing this post from the hospital a few days ago, but was unable to complete the post. Hence the post being "titled" only for a few days….]
  Remember the Monopoly games of our youth? Remember the "get out of jail free" card? It was always a good one to have.
   Now try and imagine an inmate playing monopoly with the prison head, and on drawing the "get out of jail free" card, he is informed by the jailer that he can leave the prison for good. Wouldn't he be ecstatic?
   Sometimes I feel that I have drawn the "get out of jail free" card in my life. Overweight was limiting me in so many ways that I can hardly count them. Some I was not really aware of until the weight came off and I experienced life without all that extra poundage….
   Here are just a few that recently came to mind:
-the ability to ride a bike in the park
-hospital gowns that fit and wrap around and cover the back of you as well as the front
-hospital staff who see you as a person, not just as a BMI of 50+
-being able to run to catch a bus

   These are just a few things. But I really feel that I've left the jail of my own making…..

4 comments:

Jess said...

I hope you are doing well!

Batya said...

B"H, and how's Ricki?

I remember walking down the stairs of Ir David the year after losing weight and wondering why I wasn't in pain.

Rickismom said...

Ricki is thank G-d fine....

Cindy B. said...

Thank you for your post. I am not sure I have ever thought of it that way. Your blog inspires me in many ways. Learning about Ricki, but also knowing that I need to follow the same path that you have and LOSE THE WEIGHT!