Monday, November 19, 2012

My Son Y's "Diskeete"

As soldiers have all over the world, Israeli soldiers have a "diskeete"; an identity ID chain. A constant reminder to him that he may need to lay down his life for his nation (in which case he will be identified by the diskeette). One day my son came to me. "Mom? Remember the ID necklace with the diskeette that you had made for Ricki once?" [I certainly did. I had it made when she was relatively young, during a period that Ricki was disappearing on her own a lot. I wanted to be sure that she had her address and phone on her. So I went to a jewler, and asked that he prepare a chain with a diskeete, with Ricki's name, address, and phone.] "Yes, I have it." "Can I have it?" It turns out that many soldiers place their girlfriend's diskeete (or a guess, a copy of it) alongside their own. Yitzchak wanted to put Ricki's ID card next to his, to remember her with. And he has.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

This is so touching! You've raised an amazing son.

You've been on my heart. I've been watching the news, and I've been thinking about you. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

sandra said...

That's beautiful.

Belinda said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I think of the young men and women we saw in army uniform last year when we were in Israel. They were getting history lessons at the same sites we were touring--barely old enough to be out of high school. May God watch over you all.